Ok, so like millions around the world, I genuinely thought I was washing my hands effectively, until a video showed how to and I honestly had to wonder how I’d been living for so long ignorant of this simple health practice!
It was shocking yes to realize there were steps I was missing, but I was super happy to learn and I will never ever, knock the use of sanitiser ever again, especially after going through this covid-19 lockdown.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), here are the simple steps to effective hand washing to stop the spread of germs!
Follow these five steps every time.
- Wet your hands with clean, running water (warm or cold), turn off the tap, and apply soap.
- Lather your hands by rubbing them together with the soap. Lather the backs of your hands, between your fingers, and under your nails.
- Scrub your hands for at least 20 seconds. Need a timer? Hum the “Happy Birthday” song from beginning to end twice.
- Rinse your hands well under clean, running water.
- Dry your hands using a clean towel or air dry them.