Just last night , Acting Prime Minister of Barbados, the Hon. Santia Bradshaw, confirmed that the country now has 45 cases of the aggressive covid-19 virus, and that the Government has decided to implement additional measures under the Emergency Management Act, including the closing of banks, beaches and parks as well as the prohibition of alcohol sales, among other restrictions.
>> Download the Address and the additional measures below <<
For me, this comes just hours after witnessing the cremation of my Dad, who died of a heart attack last month. Needless to say, it is not an easy time in our household, but I’ve decided that rather than give into the creeping fear and growing panic, I prefer to look at all of this as a chance to protect my energy and stay centered.
Right now, with everything around the world seeming to be spiraling right out of control, where you are being encouraged to practice social distancing of at least 6 feet from everyone, to stay quarantined home, and to practice as many healthy hygiene habits as possible, this is a very deadly, yet oddly surreal time.
So if you’re with me and prefer not to give into the addictive siren call of fear, here are some things to do to protect your energy and keep your mind healthy as well as your physical space.
- Start the day without the phone. I wake up pretty early and have enforced the rule of not looking at my phone until at least 9 am, so that other people’s energy and vibes do not affect the way I begin my day. I’m considering enforcing this at the end of my day as well and possibly keeping the phone on airplane mode during the ‘off times’.
- Do start the day with positive affirmations. I’ve felt pretty ‘out of it’ these past few days, as huge lifestyle and emotional changes have been coming at me one after the other, and I’ve been trying to be mindful of how I’ve been perceiving them. And it has not been easy at all. What I find does help is to spend 10 minutes in quiet solitude, and by speaking positivity into existence around me. This helps to rewire fears and brings deeper understanding and healing.
- If I can, I host a dance party or I exercise in the morning. Turning up the music and moving is one of the best ways to shake off negativity and bring your endorphins up, while also boosting your mood.
- Make time for self care! Now is the time to be super mindful of your health in every aspect and to allow yourself time to rest, goof off and to clean your environment. Feeling clean, comfy and relaxed does untold wonders for your mood and overall health.
- I’ve limited my news intake to only important updates and actively cut myself off if I feel as if I’m spiraling. When that happens, I engage in activities that boost my moods.
- I have an amazing support system and I check in with them regularly. They not only ground me, but also respect my boundaries and it’s good to remember that other good and positive things ARE happening around your world.
- Just take a deep breath, hold it and then slowly exhale. Practicing breath work is important especially when dealing with situations that may trigger you. I’ve started practicing some techniques and it helps to clear out the fog in my head at times.
- Just allow yourself to decompress and just be. You do not have to be in constant motion, sometimes being quiet, still and introspective is a great medicine.
- I’ve always wanted to try to sage my home at the beginning of each month to ward off negative energy and I may do it this month.
- Get your REM sleep and eat your fruits and veggies and get your water fill. Physical health is super important right now and it’s not just about fighting to not catch the flu or Covid-19, it’s about staying healthy. Period.
- Know that there is only so much you can accomplish in a day, so do not over work yourself, but know that you do have free hours to goof off with. Be greedy with your time and practice self-love in all instances. This is a lesson I’m still learning, but it is defo coming along.
- Use social media to help add to your mood. Whether it is inspirational or motivational or even humorous posts, I’m there, because laughter and joy are important y’all!
How do you protect your energy? Share with us below in the comments
You made it to the end! Wooot!